Monday, August 10, 2009

Drop Dead Diva


I am a member of a couple of different weight loss communities and I'd seen people mentioning the show Drop Dead Diva. After hearing the jist of it, I was somewhat leery. This show could easily be riddled with fat jokes and scenes of hissy fits over having to wear "grandma panties". Yet I noticed a couple of positive comments and decided to DVR it just to see what's up.

And... I love this show.


Brooke Elliot portrays Deb/Jane. The running plot line is that Deb was an aspiring actress/model who was about to be engaged into a totally dreamy and successful lawyer. (More on him in a minute.) As she is on her way to audition to be one of the Prize girls on The Price is Right, she is killed in a car crash. As she goes to the pearly gates to be judged whether she has been good enough to go into heaven, she is judged as being neither bad nor good. She is a zero, and Fred, who is her afterlife guide, starts talking about how she is the only true zero he has ever seen. Deb reaches up and hits the "return" key on his keyboard while he is talking and she is suddenly sent back to earth. Instead of returning to her old self, however, her spirit is sent into the nearest vacant vessel. Deb is suddenly now Jane, a very intelligent and somewhat hefty lawyer. She has Jane's body and her intelligence, but all of Deb's memories. Fred is demoted for the incident and sent to earth to babysit Deb/Jane, calling himself his guardian angel. Thus Deb begins on this surprisingly refreshing and amusing journey to discover the meaning of inner beauty. Brooke Elliot is a very strong actress. She easily makes you giggle with her girly antics, yet can just as quickly bring you to tears.


Jane's poignant stares at the hero in this series will make your heart ache for her. Jackson Hurst portrays Grayson Kent, who was about to propose to Deb. Grayson does not know that Deb has returned in Jane's body and comes on as a new lawyer for the firm that Jane works for. He speaks of Deb with Jane often and they are beautiful scenes. Jane refuses to tell him what is happened because she is convinced that he would never want to love her looking like she does now. These two are both talented actors. Plus that and, Jackson is just completely dreamy. That makes this show even better!

Kate Levering plays another lawyer at the firm named Kim who is a very aggresive type. She obviously has her sights set on Grayson and is a rival of Jane's, often trying to steal the spotlight from her as they compete for partner. Levering does a wonderful job making you love to hate Kim and wanting to shoo her away every time she gets anywhere close to Grayson!


Another noteable performance on this series is April Bowlby, who portrays Deb's best friend Stacey Barnett (Barnett was my maiden name, so double plus for this show!). Bowlby portrays an almost perfect ditzy blonde model, but gives the character a lot of heart at the same time. You find yourself actually liking Stacey despite the fact that she can be just a tad snobby. At first Stacey tried to get Jane to lose weight, but eventually confesses that the newly intelligent Deb/Jane will leave her behind because pretty is all that she can do.

Margaret Cho plays Jane's assistant Terri and is hilarious. When she was hitting on the ex prisoner in last night's episode I was giggling like a teenage girl.

The only complaint I have about this show is Fred. The character has so much potential but he is barely present! Ben Feldman is adorable and charming and Fred could be such an interesting facet to the storyline if he only held a smidge of power. Yet Fred has been rendered to a human like state and is mostly occupied by his crush on Stacey. I hope that more is planned for Fred in the future!

The show has so much heart! There are so many little quirks that are just adorable, such as Jane getting a massage in this week's episode and bemoaning the fact that her new body is too ticklish for massages. It is a show about inner beauty, not just about being overweight.

And there are a ton of guest stars planned for this season. Paula Abdul, Rosie O'Donnell, Delta Burke, Liza Minnelli and Hilary Duff are all supposed to be featured in this season.

The show comes on on Sundays at 9pm ET on lifetime. DVR it, right now!

______________________

So now that I've promoted the heck out of my new favorite show, let me add some updates about me really quick! Workouts are going just fine! I've been working on increasing the length of time I spend on cardio. I weighed today and I'm still at 257. I think I probably gained a pound back over the weekend because I was down to 256.2 on friday. So we are going to report no change for this week, for weight. But I am finding that all of my clothes are looser anyway and I was able to wear a shirt to church yesterday that was just a little too tight when I first bought it.

No huge changes yet but I am keeping at it!

BTW, I saw The Ugly Truth on Friday night. I'll leave you with this thought:

Gerard Butler is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.



Pics of the day!
Click to see a larger image:


9 Skinny Talkers:

Anonymous August 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

I heard about that show as well but never really bothered to look it up, thanks for sharing!

That guy Jackson has gorgeous eyes!

Steph August 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Love your blog!

...stopping by from SITS...

Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge

pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com

Jogging Auburn August 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

Yay, Katie's back! I've missed reading your blog. I do not have a DVR ... or satellite ... or cable ... my husband and I are elite members of what we call The Seven Channel Club, heehee. But the show sounds hilarious. The eyes on that guy ... wow! Made me want to draw! (That's what a nerd I am, haha!)

Glad to hear your exercise is still going strong! And hey, the success on the shirt is awesome! Sometimes the scale doesn't tell the whole story!

Keep up the great work, girlie!! :)

Shelley August 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Thanks for the synopsis of DDD - I've heard about it, but haven't seen it - I will set my DVR!

Katie August 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Yes I'm back! :) I spent several days with the BFF so no blogging from there. Now I'm back to blabber at all of you now!

Thanks for stopping by Steph :) Her blog is cute too, I just checked.

M August 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

Hot damn girl, did you ever think of being a writer?

I dislike Drop Dead Diva, but your writing pulls me in and makes me want to watch it, which I still do, its like Im trying so hard to give it a chance but Im not into it lol. But then I read this, and I felt like I was reading something from a magazine!

Youre an excellent writer!

Hadley August 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

Okay, I'm convinced. I just set my DVR for it.

Congrats on the newly wearable shirt. Sometimes our bodies show progress that the scale doesn't. Way to go!

InWeighOverMyHead August 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

wow! I'll have to check out the show!

alanna September 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

omg my best friend and i DVR this show like crazy!! we love it SO so SO much!! it is absolutely adorable and I freaking love Jane and Stacey, and I looove their relationship - I adore that Stacey is genuinely not critical of Jane and just encourages her, but that they don't ignore the fact that there is a weight difference between the two of them and acknowledge it at times (like in the episode where Stacey tries calimari for the first time after saying, 'I don't do fried.') So glad there's another proponent!

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP