Sunday, August 2, 2009

Here Comes The Pain!

Or something like that. My plan for the week is to workout Monday-Friday. Every day.

I will more than likely be very grumpy on Friday. Hehe.

So I said several posts ago that I would talk about my Poly cystic ovaries syndrome. I think you and I have gotten to know each other well enough that I can share some of these horrid details. If there is a condition that is worse for a woman to suffer from (that isn't life threatening), I do not know of it.

Reasons that PCOS sucks:

  • There is a chance that I will never conceive naturally.
It takes away the ability to fulfill that primal, instinctual urge that most women feel. And when I do decide to have children I will more than likely have to take fertility treatments, the same kind that Kate from Jon & Katie + 8 took! I might be the next Octomom!

  • Weight Gain.
When I hit 18, I ballooned up 80lbs. I have added onto that as the years have passed. It makes losing weight a lot more difficult because of the whacked up hormones. And I have mostly gained it on my belly and waist, so I have a "beer gut".

  • Man hair. Yes, man hair.
I get whiskers, real whiskers. As if a double chin isn't bad enough, add some man whiskers onto it. That's attractive. And it isn't just facial hair, my body hair has gotten darker and longer as well. I'll be Werewolf Girl soon.
  • Skin Tags.
My neck and under my arms are speckled with skin tags that have come up in the past few years. They are so annoying! And I know they are fairly easily removed but I am afraid that it will hurt, and I'm a wimp.

  • Dark Skin Patches.
I get areas of dark skin on my ankles and in between my thighs. Try to be sexy with that going on!


PCOS = The Unfeminine Syndrome. I am slowly turning into a man. I've been told that the hormonal changes shouldn't have this effect, but I find myself with a shorter temper than I might have had in years past. Sometimes I react to things like a man would.

Birth control pills and Metformin help keep all these things from getting worse, but they really haven't done much reversal in symptoms.

So all you people who thought I was fat just because I sit on the couch eatin tater skins, that's not true! My diet has never been "bad". I am not a junk food junkie. It's been mostly hormonal for me.

This is a battle against mother nature as much as it is a test of will. I have to work just a little harder to shed this weight.


So now that I have completely grossed you out and you will never look at me the same way again! Let me continue my photo sharing of the people I love the most.

Click to see larger image:

11 Skinny Talkers:

Carissa August 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

My aunt also has PCOS.. I've experienced most of the symptoms.. but I'm too scared to go to the doctor to find out for sure :/! Stay strong & good luck on your workouts this week! You can do iiiit :)

xo, BB
http://haveyouseenmyweight.blogspot.com/

Shelley August 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

Sorry that you have PCOS - it does not sound fun at all. I hope that they can come up with a better treatment...doesn't it seem like doctors prescribe BC pills for just about everything?

Good luck with your workouts this week!

M August 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM  

So you probably dont want to hear this but I love your sense of humor about everything. Im also sorry that you go through that!

I was born without a thyroid, and here are my reasons why it sucks:

Progressive hearing loss.
Blood work every 3 months.
Brittle hair and nails
Cold Intolerance(This affects me the most. Im always cold.)
Depression.Dry itchy skin.

Anyways, this isnt a competition but I just wanted you to know that youre not alone and I think youre fabulous!

Meg August 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Oh please, no one will think any worse of you for having this (awful) condition. If anything, your honesty will help us to love you more. I'm so sorry you're suffering from this disease and wish the best for you in all aspects. Get those skin tags frozen off or whatever they do to them. It won't hurt, I promise. And wax wax wax. Now, that will hurt but it's wonderfully easy living!
Thanks for sharing :)

Katie J ♥ August 3, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

I used to have PCOS. It was NO fun and yes I do have some of the residual effects of it as in "man hair" I had laser hair removal done and it really helped alot but there is still some stubborn areas. As you lose weight your hormones will balance out and hopefully the PCOS symptoms will go away. We feel for you Katie girl!

Katie J ♥ August 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Katie... I saw your comment on Stephen's blog and saw that you are in Jasper. My name is Katie Jasper...

Katie August 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

HA! I love irony :D We're some coink-i-dinks!

Hadley August 4, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

My mother has PCOS and, like BB, I also have it have been avoiding going to a doctor and getting it diagnosed. I know losing weight is one of the best things you can do for PCOS, so for me, losing weight is also a way of self-treating.

This was a very brave post for you to make. Just making this comment acknowledging that I think I have PCOS too was hard, so I can barely imagine a whole post!

Stay brave and keep fighting the good fight. :)

Anonymous August 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

PCOD or PCOS is no fun!!! Do you evr get migraines from it? ugh! lol.. I'm having difficulties with mine... another thing you could consider is trying aldactone... it has been helping me ... but I had to stop the metformin... Good luck with the whole weight loss and if u ever wanna go walk, gimmie a call!!!

--Jessica (steward) Allen

Katie August 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

No, migraines are not an issue for me!

And I don't know about Aldactone, lol. If I remember correctly, that is a water pill. I closely monitor my sodium intake these days anyway, so I don't have issues with water retention.

The insulin therapy route has been the only thing I have noticed a difference in, even though it does make me a little... irregular. :)

I work out at the gym every day Jess, at Solid Image. Let me know if you ever go up there! ♥

alanna September 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

aw, sweetheart that sounds just terrible! if you have the funds, definitely consider laser hair removal...i hear that it works wonders!
and i am so proud of you for working out - i always know that the days i work out make it so much easier to eat healthy because i'm proud of myself and want to treat my body well. i'm sure you'll feel the same way if you get some of the things you're self conscious about (extra body hair, skin tags, etc.) taken care of :)

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP